Trumpeter 1/32 Scale A-10
Model, Text and Photos
By: Jack Mugan
|Continuing with our journey, we move
on to step twenty- three/twenty-four, dealing with the main landing
gear area. I decided to paint the landing gear, but leave them and
the wheel well doors and their attachments off at this time for ease of
painting later. I might add here, the main gear also cries for more detail
in the form of brake lines. However, I have now run into the first
really poor fit at this time as I glued in the main gear housing. This area
took a little cleaning up. I also masked off the wheel well openings, as
the inside color will be aircraft gray, rather than the camouflage color.
I skipped the next two steps as they dealt with the canopy/windshield, as
well as other small add on parts, that can be assembled when the model gets
closer to being painted.
|Steps twenty-eight through
thirty-three are concerned with the engine(s) assembly. For some reason,
for display purposes I assume, the Trumpeter people decided to do half
of the engine housings pieces in clear plastic. They also supplied two
nice resin engines, but very little painting information. I sort of winged
it here. (Here again is another Detail Moment for those who can't
help themselves). This is a good place to check your Squadron A-10 Walk
Around (number 17). This part of the model will require careful dry fitting
and checking for the location pins for each interconnected part. Great
care is need here, if all is to fit together as a unit.
|You will be assembling the clear intake
pieces at this point. Much care must be taken as to which end goes where.
Careful examination will show very small location pins. Again, I chose to
do some painting at this point, hoping to avoid unnecessary masking later
|By now, the basic building has been
completed, and now it's time to deal with things like scoops and antennas.
The canopy was masked off using Tamiya tape (I love this stuff). There is
a small seam that must be removed and polished out between the front frame,
and what I think is some kind of antenna in the glass. I masked both sides
on the bubble part because the inside would be black and very visible in
the open position. I used Flat Black, and a finished coat of ModelMaster
Aircraft Interior Black (37031).